Is online learning for me? Take the quiz...
Prior to enrolling in an online course, students should ask themselves, "Is online learning right for me?" The following quiz can help.
1. My need to take this course is:
- High— I need it immediately to make up lost credits, to play team sports, or other important reasons.
- Moderate— I could take it on campus later or substitute it for another course.
- Low— it is a personal interest that could be postponed.
2. Having face-to-face interaction is:
- not particularly important to me.
- somewhat important to me.
- very important to me.
3. I would classify myself as someone who:
- often gets things done ahead of time.
- needs reminding to get things done on time.
- puts things off until the last minute.
4. Classroom discussion is:
- Rarely helpful to me.
- Sometimes helpful to me.
- Almost always helpful to me.
5. When an instructor provides directions for an assignment, I prefer:
- Figuring out the instructions myself.
- Trying to follow the directions on my own, then asking for help as needed.
- Having the instructions explained to me.
6. I need instructors to constantly remind me of due dates and assignments:
7. Considering my schedule, the amount of time I have to work in an online course is:
- More than for an on-campus course.
- The same as for a class on campus.
- Less than for a class on campus.
8. When I am asked to use email, computers, or other new technologies presented to me:
- I look forward to learning new skills.
- I feel apprehensive, but try anyway.
- I put it off or try to avoid it
9. As a reader, I would classify myself as:
- Good— I usually understand the text without help
- Average— I sometimes need help to understand the text.
- Below average— I often need help to understand the text.
Analyze your results: Students who are successful in the online learning environment find that they identify most with the first and second answers to the above questions.